Monday, December 5, 2011

Do you look like giant work generator to potential developers?

I realize that not everyone is going to be a coding superstar.  However, anyone can learn how to contribute to a technical project.  It could be as simple as learning Illustrator to create basic graphic elements.  At a minimum, you should be able access your startup's code and fix typos.

There was a great article in Forbe's, The Rise of Developeronomics by Venkatesh Rao.  It discusses how hard it is to attract developer talent.  This is very true for first time entrepreneurs.  If you have neither money or reputation, what can you do?  When I started my dating site,  I was exactly in this position.  So I rolled up my sleeves and taught myself how to program.  At every point it came down to this question, pay someone $20K to do some piece of technical work or buy a $40 book and read it?  I had the $40 but not the $20K, so I became an avid book reader.  My partner was no technical genius either, but he could pull up the site and move elements around.  I can't tell you how much this skill helped in reducing tension on the project.  After programming most of the night you don't want to hear, "Hey, you misspelled a word on the homepage."

The more you know about building your own idea, the more rapport you can build with technical people.  It increases your ability to attract developers by making you part of the team.  You are a "doer" not a "talker".  It lowers your cost by allowing you to understand the trade-offs in time and effort for different design decisions.

There is nothing more pathetic looking to an engineer than a broke idea person with no experience.  You are a giant work generator, a monkey looking to jump on their back and work them to death.

Learn HTML, CSS, how to lay out iPhone apps, something, anything, to make you "one of the boys."

2 comments:

  1. Excellent article. I too agree, when communication to the employees was cruical to increasing productivity I had to learn FrontPage 98 and SQL to build the company intranet. It was much better than spending money on an intranet developer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree Will! At the least, it gives the appreciation what would it take to implement that one-line-concept that was uttered in 30 seconds - helps a lot in prioritizing what is absolutely important and what is a nice-to-have. Thanks for articulating this in this article.

    ReplyDelete