Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hit a major milestone - covered my first Java book

Got past the next milestone on my Open Source project. Finished my 800 page Java book and learned (90% at least) all the flashcards that I made from it. It reminded me of how difficult it is to program desktop applications, since much of the book covered this. I had tried to learned Windows programming 10 years ago, and had to set it aside due to working on my business.

Read a book on Google analytics, then another on Google A/B testing using their webanalytics product. Very interesting. If you have a web site, you should be using this to run tests non-stop for determining what works for your business plan. The book is: Always Be Testing: The Complete Guide to Google Website Optimizer. Really good stuff and totally free.

Also, read through my first C programming book today. Not very hard after Java, since Java was built based on C. Over 50% of open source data is built from C code. Not very interested in C for its own sake, but following the trail into Objective C for building iPhone apps.

I don't think that I am productive in the new technologies yet, but will start circling back to learn the tools needed over the next few weeks. Drupal will be the next goal. This will be a good project to apply the PHP that I have learned last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment