Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Iterate, iterate, iterate

Got back the initial results on a new product idea that I launched yesterday that is geared to finding out what teaching materials work best. Initial results were disappointing as it often is. So it time to roll up my sleeves and start iterating.

The amazing part is the it took only $8 to find the answer. I advertised on Google adwords and it took only 32 people to get the data I needed to see what the initial problems where. I collected the data on what people did after reaching the page. I got 4 questions answered and 2 other actions.

Google analytics showed that two people searched for a different course than we were offering. I then realized there are several AP History courses in addition to U.S. History that we are testing on. So I am going to start by putting up an explanation screen with choices for the course. That way I can weed out people who aren't interested in the course we have, as well as, determine if we need to offer one of the other courses as well. Also, we are going to work on explaining how our product works and what the next steps are.

The point is, that the best way to play the game is test with small amounts of traffic. You can purchase it easily and make it targeted to your offer. Turn off the traffic as soon as you get a good sample, can be anything over 32. Then sit down and look at the results and decide on what the next iteration should be. Then crank up the test again.

No comments:

Post a Comment