Friday, August 14, 2009

Starting to find resources for effective social media use

I have immersed myself learning about the tools that have developed for communicating with other people on the Internet in the last 10 years or so: blogging, Twitter, social networks, etc. This blog is my first concrete step in this direction. Of course the question is, "How to use these tools to get to my current goals?"

For me this is finding another startup project or creating interest in my current startup project. I want to create a product with a net revenue of $1 million+ a year. Hey, you have to think big, because all projects take tremendous effort.

Ran across a really good blog by Aaron Uhrmacher called Disruptology. He has a really good analysis of Dell's various social media strategies. Dell has reached $3 million in sales via Twitter. Hey that is 3x my current goal, so very interesting. They are doing it by promoting time sensitive offers, so not really relevant to my current venture.

However, if you have a business or client that could offer this type of "special deal" content, it could be a relevant strategy. There was a company in Dallas that would buy a small quantity (50-200) of specialty items and offer one product for sale per day and people would rush to be one of the few that got to buy the item. It created a fanatical following and was very successful.

It leverages the influence technique of scarcity. If you know of any other great use cases please post them in the comments. I would love to get more input in this area.

2 comments:

  1. scarcity vs free is becoming, more and more often, the question. great book by chris anderson called Free: The Radical New Price is really worth reading. you get lots of it already but some good insights. dig your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ordered the book. You are officially my first commenter. I started this after watching the movie: Julie and Julia, which was brilliant by the way. Her first commenter was her mother telling her she was dumb for doing a blog, so I think I am ahead of her experience at this point. Now I just need a book and movie deal to have my fairybook ending.

    ReplyDelete